Naturopathic Medicine provides a unique and comprehensive approach to obtaining optimal health. Individualized treatment plans are developed using modern diagnostic techniques and traditional medical wisdom to address the underlying causes of your illnesses. Naturopathic Medicine promotes health and harmony of body, mind, and spirit though natural therapies. I provide individualized treatment plans designed to tailor fit your needs. I figure out the underlying causes of your health concerns and empower you in discovering what works best for you through natural healing and disease prevention. Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct system of primary health care – an art, science, philosophy and practice of diagnosis, treatment and prevention of illness. Naturopathic treatment draws from a number of tools and is tailored to each individual patient. Treatments may include clinical nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, physical treatments, acupuncture and Asian medicine, lifestyle counseling, and often a combination of these.
The following principles are the foundation of a naturopathic medical practice:
1. First do no harm
2. Co-operate with the inherent self-healing ability of the body (Healing Power of Nature)
3. Identify and treat the cause
4. Doctor as teacher: teach the principles of healthy living
5. Treat the whole person through individualized treatment
6. Emphasize disease prevention
1. First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere): Naturopathic doctors follow three guidelines to avoid harming the patient: Utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat. Avoid when possiblethe harmful suppression of symptoms; acknowledge, respect and work with the individual’s self-healing process.
2. The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae): Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in the person which is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process.
3. Identify and Treat the Causes (ToIle Causam): The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness, rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
4. Doctor as Teacher (Docere): Naturopathic physicians educate their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also recognize and employ the therapeutic potential of the doctor-patient relationship.
5. Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal, and spiritual development.
6. Emphasize Disease Prevention: Naturopathic physicians emphasize the prevention of disease -assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease and making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness. Naturopathic medicine is committed to the creation of a healthy world in which humanity may thrive
What can Naturopathic Doctors treat?
Naturopathic Doctors are primary healthcare practitioners, and can treat the same conditions as a family doctor, including acute concerns and chronic health conditions. In the event that an ND is unable to treat your condition, I will refer to someone who can work with me to address your conditions.
What can you expect from an ND?
Your Naturopathic Doctor will take the time to get to know you as a person, determine your health goals and assess the root of your health issues. Following a thorough health history and physical examination, a doctor’s report will be discussed including treatment expectations. When necessary, further laboratory testing may be suggested to complete your health picture. You can expect your Naturopathic Doctor to work with you to develop and carry out a comprehensive,custom treatment plan. Follow-up schedules vary from person-to-person butwill initially be bi-weekly or monthly and will occur less frequently as health goals are achieved and maintained.
Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND)
Ontario Association of NaturopathicDoctors (OAND)
Council on Naturopathic MedicalEducation (CNME)
North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners (NABNE)
American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
Copyright © 2018 Ontario Naturopathic Clinic - All Rights Reserved.